Whole Wheat n Rice Pastry
There’s nothing like a great pie crust.
I’m not the best at making pie crusts but whether they look beautiful or not, the filling is where the real goods are. Just like what lies beneath your skin is more important than beauty.
This Recipe is inspired by: Rodale’s Naturally Great Foods Cookbook
Watch the video to see us make this pie crust.
Find the full video on our YouTube Channel.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Wheat isn't the only option for baking. It does give results we expect, but other flours work great as well. This rice flour pie crust has an excellent flavor!
- 1 c Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 c Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 5 Tbsp Ice Water
- Sift flours and salt together.
- Using fingertips, work in oil and then the butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add ice water a little at a time, sprinkling over the crumbs and kneading slightly to form a ball of dough.
- Roll out both 1/2's of the dough between sheets of wax paper.
- Lay out in a pie plate.
- After adding the desired filling, cover with the second 1/2 dough.
- Flute the edges if desired.
- Bake as directed for your specific filling.
Rice flour gives a delicate crumbly texture to the pie crust. Variety in the diet is important. Using a variety of flours helps add that variety.