Our Favorite Crunchy Granola
With all the bite sized chunks and packed full of goodness, this is a 5 Star breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for general health and happiness. What a great way to begin a healthy day. Add some fruit pieces on top and increase the nutritional quotient.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Granola is a favorite for breakfast but may also be used for a trail mix base or as a topping on a wholesome fruit desert. Sprinkled on top of yogurt is a delightful treat also.
- 2/3 C Honey
- 1/3 C Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 C Rolled Grains, Oat, Barley, Rye, Kamut, Spelt, Amaranth, Triticale etc.
- 1/2 C Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 C Sunflower Seeds
- 1 C Nuts, Chopped - Pinenuts for children under 8 - almonds or pecans generally for adults
- 1 C Coconut Flakes
- 2 C Raisins or Cranberries, Dried
- Warm the honey, oil and brown sugar to melt the sugar.
- Add Vanilla extract.
- Stir all dry ingredients together, except raisins.
- Mix the warmed mixture with the granola blend.
- Spread on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
- Bake at 250° 30 minutes or until a golden color, stirring every 5-7 minutes.
- Add raisins and if desired, bake a few more minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet to cool. Granola is not easy to remove from cookie sheet if you let it cool down on there.
- Leave chunky or break into smaller pieces before storing in an airtight container or sealed bag.
Keep in mind the rule about nuts and that of honey. If your body can't handle honey, choose an alternative sweetener.
Remember to remove the granola from the pan before allowing it to cool unless you line the sheet with waxed paper first.